Sunday Sampler: August 17, 2014
So this is my first recap post in a long time, and I haven’t quite decided how I’m going to lay these out. I will probably toy with a few formats and see how they go.
I started off the week by declaring that I was planning on making some changes in how I do things around here. Since then, I’ve also decided to completely revamp my entire blog. In doing so, I will be relocating. It will be a relatively lengthy transition period on my end because I’m doing graphic and coding work in advance of launch. Keep your eyes peeled for more information in the future.
I wrote 3 description reviews:
- Witchling (Otherworld #1) by Yasmine Galenorn
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #1) by Ransom Riggs
- Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files #1) by D. D. Brant
I also posted a stop on a blog tour hosted by Enchanted Book Promotions:
Back out in the real world I resumed work after a wonderful week off at band camp. Work has been hectic. Like, the definition of. And our organization has had 2/3 of its management put on a special assignment for an indeterminate amount of time. As one of the more experienced / known-by-executives members of our team, I’ve been picking up a lot of the slack (which means doing work over the weekend to get something ready — from scratch — for a leadership review Monday morning).
Oh, I also took my final exam for my summer Stats class. It was a 3-hour test, and my computer decided it didn’t want to upload the file when I only had 10 minutes left in the time period. So that was fun. But … That means I only have two semesters left before I will officially have a Masters in Applied Statistics. Yay!
The good news is that so far I’ve still been managing to post regularly in spite of the chaos, and I’m hoping to keep it up. Unfortunately, my reading time has been a bit behind (which is partially because I’ve been spending so much free time getting ready to move Classy Cat Books).
Some reviews I’m hoping to get up in the next week or so:
And don’t forget Doctor Who resumes next weekend!
Posts I’ve enjoyed/found interesting from other bloggers this past week:
- Guest Review: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children at Baby Got Stacks
- The Liberation of Gabriel King at NutFreeNerd
- Review: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black by Jodie Lluwellyn
- Review: The Sword And Its Servant by Victor Salinas at So, I Read This Book Today
- The Mirror Empire, by Kameron Hurley at Bibliotropic
- ReRead Review: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris at The Geeky Blogger’s Book Blog
- Review: No Turning Back by Tiffany Snow at Little Read Riding Hood
Writing / Publishing Tips
- Saturday Suggestion: Writer’s Guide to Character Traits by Linda N. Edelstein, Ph.D at Authors & Readers Book Corner
- Various Stages of Writer’s Block at Shannon A Thompson (So true!)
- Talk About It Thursday with Pema Donyo at Authors & Readers Book Corner
Other Fun and Interesting Stuff
- The Reviewer’s Dilemma: Not Finishing What You Started at Bibliotropic
- Subscription services – adjusting our thinking at Andrew Knighton Writes
- Cultural Complexities of Eradicating Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) at Chapter TK
- YANSS Podcast 030 – How practice changes the brain and exceptions to the 10,000 hour rule with David Epstein at You Are Not So Smart
- Blog Tour: The Strange Maid by Tessa Gratton – Interview and Giveaway at Chapter by Chapter
- Ignorance: The Human Disease at Taking The Mask Off
- LitRate: The Next Big Thing at The Day Dreamer and Candy Eater