Sunday Sampler: August 31
Well, another week is gone, and have to say I was definitely ready for a long weekend 😉 Happy Labor Day to those of you in the US, and enjoy the extra day off tomorrow if you’re lucky enough to have one.
This week I posted:
2 Book Reviews:
3 Description Reviews:
- No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1) by Tiffany Snow
- Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Masks (Masks of the Aygrima #1) by E. C. Blake
In the real world:
Some really exciting stuff’s been going on in the real world.
First and foremost, Doctor Who is back on the air (yes, technically that should have been in last week’s post; since I was out of town for the weekend, it was part of this week for me). And in honor of the new series airing, I’ve decided to purchase this new phone case. Really, I needed to get a new case for my phone anyway (my last one completely shattered a couple weeks ago. When I saw Kiri’s phone case in this video, I decided I was going to copy.
On Friday I also went to go see Fiddler on the Roof in an outdoor theater right around dusk. In the mountains. It was spectacular—truly a phenomenal cast with some of the best singing/dancing I’ve heard/seen in a while (for those of you who have been paying attention, that’s pretty impressive given that I just want to a music camp). And the acting in particular was impressive. With so many notorios Tevye’s running around nowadays, it takes a fair amount to impress me—this guy totally pulled it off. Next year I’ve decided to make it my goal to go see all of their other shows for the summer season.
I have also officially pre-order A Witch With No Name (The Hollows #13) by Kim Harrison. I always get school-girl giddy with the new releases of this series; as one of the first lengthy urban fantasy series I delved into, it’s near and dear to my heart. Keep your eyes peeled for a review coming up sometime in early- to mid-September.
I’m a good deal of the way done with both of those, and since I still have all of today and tomorrow for chill-time, I may have one or two more posts coming this week, but they’re not planned yet. I do hope to get around to to my re-read of Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness, but I highly doubt that will get a review up before next Sunday.
I’m also (very slowly) drafting a post regarding the trending topic of the cost of e-books. I’ve noticed there is quite a polarized debate about how much these things should really be costing to the customer (us), and I’ve been feeling inclined to weigh in from an economic perspective (yay supply and demand!). If I actually get around to fleshing it out today, it may go up tomorrow, but I make no promises.
Posts I’ve enjoyed reading this week:
- The Sleepwalkers: How Europe went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark at TBPL Off the Shelf
- A Discovery of Witches (Re-read) at Bibliphage
- ARC Review: The Winter People by Rebekah Purdy at The Thousand Lives
- Book Review!! Darkness by Erin Eveland at Little Read Riding Hood
- Runemarks at Storytime with Buffy
- Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs at Sonya’s Stuff
- The Reviewer’s Dilemma: Looking Back and Wincing at Bibliotropic
- RB: My Book Broke Up With Me at 2unpublishedgirls
- Bookworm Emotions at Brilliantly Novel
- 5 Fun Ways to Say Boring at Just English
- YANSS Podcast 031 – Why do you sabotage yourself when trying to break bad habits? at You Are Not So Smart
- Le Fanu and the Weird Turn of the Ghost Story at Interesting Literature
- Everything you need to know about Britain, as taught by sf+f at Andrew Knighton Writes
- Ice Bucket Challenge? More like Brain Freeze. at Funny for Nothing
- Sciencey LOL of the Week at Why? Because Science.